Even Odd number vehicle Formula of Arvind Kejariwal (AAP) in Delhi is not practical.
- This Formula is not particle because in India medium class people can afford only 1 car and that can be either even/odd number so it is not feasible for everyone to use his car on alternate days.
- It is possible to not use car for someday but making it a rule and putting penalty on this not a practical Idea.
- People who are using cars will most likely now go to offices on alternate days using autos. We are all aware of the level of corruption as most auto drivers refuse to use the electronic fare meter in Delhi. What is going to happen is that there will be an increase in the number of auto commuters with no or marginal increase in the number of autos.
- In Delhi people have lot of money. People who are rich and in condition to afford second car will buy it. The Road Transport Office (RTO), infamous for corruption, is bound to increase rates for granting favors with people paying bigger bribes for fetching favorable numbers.
- In case of emergency how people are going to manage. Suppose I have a car with even numbe and I have to visit hospital today and Today is odd number car day. It will be simply difficult for me.
- This idea of running odd even number cars or running cars with specific number has been tried already in different cities of world like Mexico, Paris etc. So it's not completely useless idea.
- Delhi pollution level is so high that breathing itself is not good in such air.
- Delhi's situation is worst. The PM 2.5 concentration is so high that it might affect healthy people and seriously impact those with existing diseases. Concentration in Delhi's air was 230.9 micrograms per cubic meter. Concentration in Beijing of 139.7 micrograms per cubic meter during the same period.
Some drastic steps has to be taken by government.
- It is 2 weeks pilot project and it will be extended only after review and results.
Delhi pollution reached a severe level and drastic steps are required. But Government should take smart decisions and implement more practical schemes to control pollution. Even odd number scheme is bound to fail.
Contributed by: rajshree