The 2008 Research Assessment Exercise results showed Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry joining Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College and University College London in the top 5 medical and dental schools in England for quality of research.
In the same exercise, the School was ranked first in London, ahead of University College, Imperial College and King’s College.
According to rankings published in the Times Higher Education, Barts and The London scored consistently in the top five:
* Dentistry was ranked 1st equal with Manchester out of 14 UK dental schools.
* In Cancer, we were ranked 3rd out of 14 submissions ahead of Oxford, Imperial, Kings College London and University College London.
* The Blizard Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, returned in Hospital Subjects, was ranked joint 1st with Cambridge and Edinburgh ahead of Manchester, Newcastle and Southampton.
* The Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, returned in Epidemiology and Public Health, was 2nd out of 21 ahead of Oxford, University College London and Bristol
* In Health Services Research, we were ranked 4th overall out of 28 ahead of Oxford, University College London and Kings College London
* The William Harvey Research Institute, returned in Preclinical and Human Biological Sciences, was ranked 3rd out of 13, ahead of Kings College London, Bristol and Nottingham.
The School runs two programmes in medicine and two in dentistry.
* A five-year MBBS programme (A100)
* A shortened (four-year) graduate-entry MBBS programme (A101)
* A five-year BDS programme (A200)
* A shortened (four-year) graduate-entry BDS programme (A201)
There is also a range of taught medical and dental postgraduate programmes and numerous postgraduate research opportunities.