MBBS is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
The degrees are the British equivalent of the American M.D. The basic or degree level qualification for a medical profession is MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine And Bachelor of Surgery) which is of 5 1/2 years duration (including 1 year internship).
Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae (MBBChir, MBChB, BMBS, MBBS or variations thereof) are the two degrees awarded after a course in medicine and surgery at a university in the United Kingdom and other places following the British tradition, such as Australian, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand, Jamaican, South African, Pakistan and Indian medical schools.
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery:
The course duration is 5½ years (4½ years of classroom study followed by a year of rotating internship). The 4½ years of class room study is broken into 3 phases of 18 months each. Each phase of 18 months is known as Professional and is further divided into 3 semesters of 6 months each. There is a semester exam at the end of each semester and a Professional exam at the end of each professional. The third professional is devoted to monthly clinical work in the wards and departments of the hospital. In all there are 3 professional examinations, followed by practical and clinical examinations. Pass percentage required is 50 per cent.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS Admission in India:
Eligibility criteria for admission in MBBS course in India is strictly based on Rules and Regulations of Medical Council of India (MCI).
The candidate willing to take admission in mbbs course in India must have passed the Class XIIth examination with PCB 50% for general Category & 40% for Backward Category.
Age: The candidates should have completed 17 years of age on or before 31st day of December of the year of admission.
Top 25 Medical Colleges in India (Medicine/MBBS)
1. All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi
2. Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore
3. JIPMER College, Puducherry
4. Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune
5. Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi
6. Grant Medical College, Mumbai
7. Madras Medical College, Chennai
8. St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore
9. Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi
10. King George Medical College, CMM Medical University, Lucknow
11. Christian Medical College (CMC), Ludhiana
12. B.J. Medical School, Ahmedabad
13. Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal
14. Bangalore Medical College (BMC), Bangalore
15. Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata
16. Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research, Kolkata
17. Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
18. Seth G.S. Medical College, Mumbai
19. Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi
20. Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC), Delhi
21. B.J. Medical College and Sassoon Hospital, Pune
22. Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
23. Guwahati Medical College and Hospital, Guwahati
24. University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital, Delhi
25. Stanley Medical College (SMC), Chennai